Contentment. That's my focus word for 2012. Something I desperately need to work on. Just being content with where I am in this very moment. With what I have or don't have. With what we are doing or not doing. With where we are going or not going.

I am really bad about looking forward too much. Wondering what's going to happen this year. And sometimes it causes me worry. I think about how blessed we have been so far with our health our three healthy children. And I worry. I guess every parent probably does.

But you know what? Right now, on January 13, 2012, we are all whole and happy and healthy, and I want to make the very most of today. I want to be content with today.

I also tend to constantly think about things that I could do differently around the house. Ways to change our decor, new furniture I want, updates I wish we could afford. I also think about trips I wish we could take, places I wish we could move to, things I wish I could do with my boys. And all of this causes discontent.

It's great to dream and plan and imagine, but it's so much more important to focus on what you do have right now. God has blessed me with three beautiful little boys who call me mommy and a comfortable safe home in which to raise them. I have a hard-working and helpful husband who loves us with everything he has. I have the best family and friends. We are planning a trip to the beach this summer. I have so much to be content with.

And speaking of "contentment" and "summer". . . It's getting harder and harder to be content with this cold weather. I am ready for the warmer months!! I had a newborn last summer, so I feel like I didn't get to get out and enjoy the sunshine as much as usual.

We are looking forward to picniks outside under the shade trees and evenings at the pool and sno cones and sunscreen.

But right now we will be content with watching movies snuggled under warm blankets. Footed jammies and hot chocolate. Thick coats and pink, wind-kissed cheeks.
* * *
Sometimes I get to a point in my day where I feel like I am just running around in circles getting nothing accomplished. I have a to-do list a mile long, that's getting longer instead of shorter. Yesterday was one of those day. Everything was unorganized, laundry was piling up, I couldn't get a spare minute to sit down and do some planning on Brody's birthday party coming up soon. So, I just stopped and sat down for a while and played with my children.

We played Flying Fish with Brody's prize from his dental visit yesterday morning. He is obsessed with this thing. He wanted to take it for his show-n-tell at school today, but they are on letter Z, so he named it Zoe so he could still take it. Love that kid's imagination.

We just sat in the floor and tickled each other and made silly faces for the camera and laughed. It was just what they needed.

It was just what
I needed.

Oh, these boys make me so happy.

Today we are going to brave the cold and try to go outside and get some pictures of Brody for his birthday invitation. Can't believe that boy will be 5.
And we've got a party to plan! If we can get Levi and Beckett to nap together this afternoon, I want to sit down with him and get some ideas together.
So, here's to being content in 2012!!
No comments:
Post a Comment